Saturday, July 23, 2022

MOON PHASES

When I was teaching "Earth Science" classes to future teachers, I taught a lesson about the monthly “Phases of the Moon” that also included  “Solar and Lunar Eclipses.” I created diagrams that summarized these concepts, and my students seemed to really like them. So, I decided these diagrams might be useful as one of my blogs.

Background: The Moon does not shine by its own light. It reflects the Sun’s light toward Earth, and depending on where the Moon is in its orbit around the Earth, we see varying parts of the illuminated half of the Moon.


The different shapes (e.g., crescent, full) are called lunar phases. The word “lunar” is derived from luna, the Latin word for the Moon.


A “blue moon” is a second full moon within one calendar month. 




Solar eclipse = when the moon passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, blocking our view of the Sun.


Lunar eclipse = the darkening of the moon when it moves through the Earth’s shadow.



No comments:

Post a Comment